Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Time to Pack

My parents came into town yesterday, and I was so happy to see them! They're going to watch the kids while Brian's at work and probably help him out a bit so that he doesn't get too overwhelmed during the nearly five days I'll be away. The kids are excited that Gramma and Pap Pap are here so hopefully they won't think about Mommy too much. Elizabeth gets a little sad when she thinks about me leaving (and so do I), but this trip will probably go very fast. We'll both have a lot to keep us busy.

Mom and I walked five miles this morning for my very last training walk. Now, 507 miles later, it's finally time to pack. I've got everything all set to go. Each day's clothes are in a separate Zip-lock bag to keep it from getting even the slightest bit wet from dew and/or rain. All my toiletries are lined up on the counter. I have the sleeping bag, air mattress and other camping gear ready. I have the biggest duffle bag you've ever seen to put everything in! I hope it weighs less than 35 pounds after everything is packed inside. I'm crossing my fingers.

Yesterday, I got my hands on one of the pink tents used in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. Apparently they donate some of the tents to Girl Scouts after the event. Well, it just so happens that I'm a leader so I put in a request and I got one. I picked it up yesterday and we set it up in the back yard to see how much room Jennifer and I will have and if the air mattress will fit. It's not the Taj Mahal, but it's a pretty good size. Here it is without the rainfly.

So tomorrow we're off. Nine months of training and fundraising is coming to an end. It's been an effort and fun at the same time so far. I'm confident our experience this weekend will be a blast! Or at least memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment