Saturday, July 4, 2009

First Official Training Walk

So far, I've either walked with Jennifer, with Dawn, or just by myself. I was talking to Brian's grandmother on the phone this week, and she told me she was concerned for my safety out there on the trail by myself. I told her there's nothing to worry about--it's light out and there are other people walking, running, and biking. Plus, I'm practically living in the Stone Age because I don't use an iPod so I keep my wits about me. I appreciate her concern and maybe she's right. I mean, there have been times when I'm the only one around and somebody could grab me from the bushes. I'm not saying it's likely, but I can't say that it can't happen. And as the mileage increases, maybe I should be with a buddy. Because "I'm very cute, very alone, and very protective of my body." (That's me as Jeanie Bueller.)

Anyway, as a 3-Day walker, you can sign up to go on official training walks with other walkers. You just type in your zip code to find a list of walks in your area. I did that yesterday and found one pretty close so I decided to give it a try. I woke up at 4:55 to meet at the McDonald's by 5:15. The walk was supposed to start at 5:30, but the leader overslept. Some other ladies thought they could remember the 5-mile route so we just started and the leader met up with us later. I wasn't sure what to expect exactly. I figured we'd walk at a pace slower than what I've been doing, and I was right. We walked 18-19 minute miles, but I was still home by 7:30. The recommended pace for the 3-Day is 20 minute miles, which is kind of hard to do, so this was probably a more realistic 3-Day walk experience.

Of course, it's always hard (at least for me) to join a group that is already a group. (My college roommate situation freshman year was living proof.) Today, I was the only newcomer so when we started walking, I was trailing at the back of the pack. Alone. Then I said, "Has anyone ever done the 3-Day before?" and everyone said no. Okay. What else can I ask? My worrying was for nothing because we quickly shuffled into place on the sidewalk and I was paired up with a delightful breast cancer survivor named Carol. As we wove our way through The Islands neighborhood, she told me her story and it reminded me of the real reason I've taken on this challenge. It's easy to get so caught up in the fundraising and the training that you forget the purpose of this event. Carol unknowingly brought me back to that day in March when I decided to walk in the 3-Day. I'm walking to eradicate breast cancer. If I get a little bit more in shape and have some fun fundraising events in the process, good for me. But the main goal is to eradicate breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment