Saturday, March 14, 2009

An Inspiring Day

Today I went to a 3-Day Get Started meeting. A seasoned walker (she's done it 4 times!) gave a presentation about the Komen Foundation and answered a lot of questions about the event. Not only do I feel like I have a better understanding of how things will be, or at least how they're supposed to be that weekend, but I am so inspired. Registering for this event is a bold commitment and walking 60 miles makes a bold statement. This is supposed to be a challenge.

So if you think I'm nuts, I am not. I know it will be a moving experience and I'm confident it will be a lot of fun. I'm part of a six-woman team that's gonna walk 20 miles a day and camp out in tents! I unexpectedly met one of my teammates at the presentation today. We weren't able to talk long, but she seems like a lot of fun and is extremely motivated. She was there with her mother, a breast cancer survivor. Nancy said it herself--she was made to do this. Her mother is so proud of her for accepting the challenge--and with such determination. She's already reached her minimum fundraising goal!

At the end of the meeting, they showed a video that only validated my decision to do this walk. I knew the video was coming; my friend Jennifer blogged about it the other day. (It's a good read. Go here.) So I didn't wear eye make-up and took plenty of tissues. And I'm glad I did. And I'm so glad I'm walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment