Thursday, March 5, 2009

My First Day of Walking

The other day, my friend Erika called me and asked if I wanted to walk with her. She and a friend were supposed to start walking when their daughters are in school but it just wasn't happening. If you ever want to start a training program with a friend, I am that friend. If I'm training just for myself and by myself, it's so hard to get motivated. But if someone else is depending on me (and I use the word 'depending' pretty loosely here), I'll do all that I'm supposed to do. The prime example is when Jennifer and I trained for the half-marathon. I think it's safe to say that if each of us was training individually, we never would have lasted 5 months. We both walked our short walks throughout the week and then we met on Sunday mornings for our long walk. And then breakfast. But it was a smart breakfast, I assure you.

Anyway, talk about perfect timing. Erika and are planning on walking 3 mornings a week. Today was our first day out and we did 2.7 miles in 45 minutes. It's a good start. And it was during that walk that I finally decided to commit myself to the 3-Day Walk. These walks with Erika are a good precursor to my 28-week training schedule for the big weekend in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment