Thursday, March 5, 2009

Yes I Can

It may be said that I can be talked into anything. Well, maybe I can. But I don't think so. Well, it depends on who's doing the talking. After much cajoling (with a little bit of guilt thrown in there, too), my friend has convinced me that I need to do the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk in San Diego this November. I have plenty of time to train and plenty of time to raise the $2300 entrance fee. It will be an incredible experience. The scenery will be breathtaking. We'll make a difference and save lives. (This is all my friend Jennifer talking, by the way). I'm sure she's right. I'm just a little nervous and a lot excited.

This blog will serve as a therapeutic way to document my training both physically, mentally and emotionally. The physical part is pretty obvious. I know I can do it. I've already printed out my training schedule, and if there's one thing I can do well, it's stick to a schedule. Mentally, I'm going to have to get down to business and raise this money. Even though it will take a lot of time, I know I can do that, too. I've held successful fundraisers before. The emotional aspect is a new one and probably the one that will cause many eyes to roll. I'm going to have to be away from my family for about four days. Believe me, in some ways that sounds great but I think when it's lights out and time to sleep (in a tent!) I'm going to be very sad. And if that doesn't get to me, I can only imagine how I'm going to feel walking alongside other women who've lost loved ones to breast cancer. I don't think there's any way to prepare myself for the emotional impact this experience will have on me.

So, here I go. It's early March and I have just under 9 months to get this thing rolling. Wish me luck and I appreciate any support you can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment