Monday, October 5, 2009

Karma

Over the weekend, I officially checked-in for the San Diego 3-Day by completing Phase 2 of the online check-in process. I had to watch a safety video and take a little quiz. I passed! I chose my tentmate. I hope Jennifer and I are still talking by then. And I had to pretty much sign my life away. Hope all goes well.

Both of us bailed on the Saturday walk. My knee was giving me some trouble and Jennifer had some back and sick-child issues. We just thought it would be smarter to nurse our injuries and save our legs for a long walk on Sunday.

We did manage to walk 16 miles yesterday. The weather was actually cooler so we were able to enjoy ourselves a little more than usual. We've gotten a little tired of walking along the canal so we've been using Map My Run figure out some new routes. There are pros and cons to this new system. I'll start with the positives. We're obviously seeing new things and broadening our horizons. We're learning more about our little corner of suburbia. And it's good to be near civilization so that we can adhear to the 3 R's of the 3-Day: rehydrate; refuel; and relieve. (See? I was paying attention to the video.) The cons are that the maps on Map My Run aren't always accurate and there is no way to know whether a street you've chosen on your route is located in a gated community. I bet you know where this going....Add Image

During yesterday's walk, we came upon our next turn only to find a huge iron gate blocking our way. Luckily, the pedestrian gate was ajar. Tsk, tsk, Rich People! You're letting in us riff-raff. So no worries for us there; we made it through to the other side of the neighborhood. Expectedly, there was another big iron gate. Unexpectedly, the pedestrian gate was locked from both sides. We tried standing before the car gate, but as we're not large, metal cars, it didn't open. We simply couldn't get out. We weighed our options (and there weren't many). None of the spaces in the scrolly wrought-iron gate was big enough for us. We probably could have gotten through this gap, but it probably would have taken a while, the gate was located along a busy road, and it was broad daylight. We were embarrassed enough just standing inside the entrance.So, the only logical thing to do was to confess to the homeowner who was out trimming his tree that we wandered into the neighborhood illegally and were now stuck. He was nice about it (we can't be the only ones who've done it, right?) and gave us the code to exit the gate. The big gate. But we were so past looking silly. We were free.

1 comment: