Monday, October 26, 2009

Training Works!

Wow. There must really be something to this training thing. I walked 15 miles on Saturday and 18 miles on Sunday and I don't hurt at all today. After my first official half-marathon two years ago, I could hardly walk for three whole days. I trained for that one, but something didn't go right. I think it was nutrition-related. That morning, we were running late and didn't get to eat anything before the race besides a banana about two hours before start time. Sure I had lots of water during the race and I even drank some sports drink, but I didn't eat anything at all and that seems to be a big no-no in the world of endurance sports. They offered GU packets, but I had never tried them so I didn't want to take any chances. Besides, have you seen those? They're literally goo. Slime. So gross. I still haven't tried them and I won't ever unless I absolutely need to. All that fake stuff really turns me off. But, thankfully, there are more familiar foods you can eat that give your body the same benefits.

And that's what we did yesterday. We stopped four or five times during our walk to stretch, replenish, refuel, rest, and relieve. It worked out great. We split a bagel, orange juice, a bag of chips and a Gatorade and that was just enough to keep our bodies moving. Sure, we started slowing down in the last two miles, but we made it through 18 miles. Now we know we can do it. We are doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment